About Me

My photo
Flathead Lake, Montana, United States
This wasn't supposed to be my life. Or maybe it was. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Confessions and general rantings of an ex-party girl.

Monday, October 3, 2011

The Great Escape

Well, I left my "home." Yesterday my husband had taken my computer and cell phone away from me. I sat around all day wondering what I was doing. I felt like I was in prison. My son was already in Libby, where my mom and in-laws live. He was with my mother-in-law at the time. I felt so much like a caged animal I just started driving, and while I was driving, I realized I could be driving away from the nightmare. Away from my prison. I turned around and went back to the house to start packing a few things I needed to escape to my mom's house.

My husband came home from work for a few minutes and found out what I was doing. He gave me my computer and phone back in an attempt to get me to stay. He insisted that if I left, I would never see my son again. He insisted that my parents said I wasn't a good mother and they had already called child protective services about me. He promised that my parents were against me and he was the only one I could trust. He had been playing this head game with me for awhile.

Finally it was clear to me. I had no idea at that point who to trust, but I knew I couldn't stay. I had to take a leap of faith. I had to block everyone else out and listen to me. Something I have not done in a long time. I packed my things and got in my car to leave. I still wasn't sure where I was even going to go, but I was ready. I wasn't staying no matter what.

I got in my car to leave, and realized he had stolen and hidden my car keys. I called him and he knew he had to tell me where they were, so he did. He had hidden them in our barbecue grill. I got in the car and drove. I talked to my mom and stepdad and realized they were on my side. They were so happy and proud that I finally found the strength to leave. So I drove to their house. On the way I thought of a million things I forgot, but I'll deal with that later. I was driving myself toward freedom.

Today was stressful in the morning. I needed to regain possession of my son, and my mother-in-law was hesitant to give him back. He is the most important thing to me through all of this. I can't lose my son. Finally she gave him up, but we still don't have his overnight stuff from her. We will have to somehow get it from her today.

 But now I am finally the one calling the shots, making the decisions for my life. I have a rental house ready down the road from here, but I'm not sure when or how I will get my furniture and things over here. It doesn't matter for now. I am away from the deranged man who said he loved me, but held me prisoner in my own home. You would never understand the nightmare I just lived through.

It's far from over. He will be served with a restraining order within the next few days that should not only protect me, but our son as well for 20 days. Now I'm not all for keeping a father away from his son. In fact it makes me sad, but it's something I have to do for now so he can't use our son against me anymore. He will use anything he can against me at this point and I cannot trust him.

It isn't easy. I'm nervous and stressed out. Everything comfortable and familiar in my life is gone. I have a million questions about how things will go from here, but I'll figure it out. One step at a time, and I have gotten through the hardest step. Leaving the nightmare behind. That is all that matters at this point. I am free. And that in itself feels good.

I am finally free.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you. So fucking proud. I'm in the process of doing something similar. I got your back sistah.

    ReplyDelete